What to Bring?
PREPARING FOR THE FESTIVAL
- The full schedule is available on the camp website at www.TexasStringsFestival.com
- Linens: you will need to bring your own (sheets for a full or queen bed and towels). There will not be sheets available for purchase at the dorm – so be sure to pack them!
- Music is distributed prior to the festival. Campers should have their parts learned before arriving to camp.
- Campers who would like to audition to play on the Rising Stars Concert should prepare their solo piece, and bring the piano accompaniment part. The first round of auditions will happen at the beginning of the festival. There will be a second round for finalists during the festival, which will be announced after the first round is complete.
- Parents are welcome to attend all concerts held in the evenings. Check the festival website for schedule and location information.
- Parents are asked to not attend festival sessions outside of the public concerts as it is important to give campers space to enjoy and fully embrace the festival experience.
WHAT TO BRING
- Concert Dress: White shirt and black pants or skirt. Dress shoes and socks.
- “Sunday Best” concert attire
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Athletic clothes and shoes for outdoor evening activities
- Music Stand
- Spending money
- Sheets and towels
- Swim wear for swim night at Callaway House
- Notebook – pen / pencil
- Umbrella or other rain gear
- A check for the balance due for your tuition – this is due at check-in
- Campers will be staying in the Callaway House near the campus of The University of Texas, located at:
505 West 22nd St,
Austin, TX 78705
- Dorm check-in is on June 14 from 1:30pm to 2:30pm
WHILE AT CAMP
- Festival campers are encouraged to be dropped off on the first day. Campers will not have any reason to have a car during their stay at camp.
- If you are in high school – or just graduated this year, you may NOT have a car on campus, or receive rides from anyone for the duration of camp.
- If you have one year of college under your belt, you are allowed to have your car while at camp. Since we are in the downtown area, all the parking is metered. We will have the use of the Callaway Garage for the stay, but the car should not be used during the festival.
- Festival sessions are held in churches near the dorm. While they are close in proximity, campers should dress for summer heat and walking from location to location.
- The festival is held in an active area of town. Campers should always move from site to site with a buddy.
- Each room is equipped with a microwave and refrigerator – keep in mind, you may be sharing this with up to five other people.
- Each dorm floor has washer and dryers that are $1.50 per wash, and $1.00 to dry. These are operated by credit card, and coins.
- There will be three meals per day provided by the dorm. These meals are included in your tuition.
- Electives are held each day.
- Private lessons have been pre-scheduled and the schedule will be made available to campers upon arrival. You will receive three lessons as part of the festival schedule. Campers that would like extra lessons may ask the members of the faculty to schedule them during off-times. Accepting extra lessons and scheduling those lessons it is at the discretion of the faculty.
- Lights out is at 11pm each night.
- There are camp counselors staying in the dorms. Camp counselors will have the medical information and emergency contact information you provided in your application. If there is additional information that we should be made aware of, or if your information has changed, you should make those issues known to one of the following people, all of whom will be readily accessible at check-in:
- Pasha Sabouri, Artistic Director
- Daniel Arredondo, Camp Director
- Once the festival has started, faculty and staff will be very busy tending to the matters of camp. Unless there is an emergency, please refrain from calling the faculty / staff during camp.
If there is an emergency, you may call:
Daniel Arredondo (512) 915-6654
- Dorm check-out is June 25 from 8:00am-9:00am.
For those out of town, bags will be moved to the church for you to take after the concert.
Final concert will start at 1:30pm.
- Camp photos will be made available for purchase in the days following camp.
BEHAVIOR GUIDELINES FOR TEXAS STRINGS CAMP 2017
- Follow all instructions given by camp counselors
- Campers are required to wear a name tag at all times with the name clearly displayed
- Campers should dress appropriately. What is appropriate? If you have to ask – it isn’t appropriate.
- For safety reasons, any outside visitors should check in with the Camp Director.
- Possession of illegal drugs, drug paraphernalia, fireworks, chemicals, gasoline, or other explosives, firearms, illegal knives, clubs, or prohibited weapons is reason for immediate removal from the camp without refund.
- Campers who are legal age for tobacco and/or alcohol may not buy or sell any drugs or alcohol for under-age campers.
- Absolutely no form of sexual misconduct, harassment, violence, threats of violence, or other acts of communications intended to intimidate, harass, or annoy will be tolerated.
- Should there be any maintenance related problem evident in your dorm room, particularly safety related issues or flowing water, you should report it immediately to a resident assistant.
- Please observe quiet hours (no practicing) from 11pm to 7am.
- Don’t use / touch any of the equipment in the classrooms that are not a part of our camp (i.e. computers, lab equipment, faucets, display boards, coffee makers, etc.)
- Be where you should be when you are supposed to be. BE ON TIME.
- You are responsible for your own instrument!
- Cell phones are not permitted during teaching times. Turn them off.
- No audio / video recordings may be made without permission from your instructor.
- Campers are not allowed in any dorm room other than their own – socialize in common areas.
- No guests or visitors can be in the dorms during the camp, except during move-in and move-out times.
- Exemplary behavior is expected at all times. Campers who violate the policies and guidelines of Texas Strings Camp will be dismissed from the program without refund or credit.
- Any camper found participating in illegal activity will be immediately dismissed from the Texas Strings Camp without refund.
High School Campers
- Campers must be in their dorm room by 10:30pm for a bed check.
- Lights out is nightly at 11:00pm
- Campers may not be in the car of a college-level camper at any time, they must remain on campus.
- Campers must be at all evening activities as outlined on the camp schedule.
TEXAS STRINGS CAMP 2017
RISK MANAGEMENT PLAN
In the event of an emergency, please follow the following plan of action:
For urgent emergencies of health or safety, please call 911.
In the event of an incident, immediately notify Chad Peevy or Pasha Sabouri.
The nearest emergency room is located at:
UNIVERSITY MEDICAL CENTER
601 E 15th St, Austin, TX 78701
Emergency room visits are at the discretion of the Chaperones.
Insurance information is in the COUNSELOR folder provided to you.
Contact the camper’s parents – emergency contact information is located in the COUNSELOR folder.